According to the State Solicitor's Office in Western Australia (Guide to Institutions Attended by Aboriginal People in Western Australia 2005, p.140) R. Schenk, who was the Manager of Mount Margaret Mission, established the Warburton Mission as an outpost of Mount Margaret. In 1937, Warburton was recognised by government authorities as a separate mission. Both Mount Margaret and Warburton Missions were run by the United Aborigines Mission.
In its early days the mission had few adults living there but the Guide (p.140) states that children were sent there for schooling. By 1949, there were 45 children living at the mission, with a total population of 64 people. Through the 1950s and 1960s, the mission population grew enormously and by 1968 (p.149) there were 211 children and a total population of more than 400 people. At that time, the mission had a 'small hospital staffed' staffed by two nursing sisters and '118 children attended a four teacher government school'.
By 1971 (Wilson and Robinson, quoted in Signposts 2004, p.549) there were 136 children enrolled at the mission school.
12 February 2019
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE00232
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License