Withnell House, Mt Lawley, was donated to the Salvation Army by Mrs Ellen Withnell in 1948. Some time after this, it was used by the Salvation Army Boys' Home, Nedlands, as an annexe. In September 1952, Withnell House became the Salvation Army's first Youth Hostel.
Withnell House closed in 1969. It is possible that any boys in residence at the hostel at time were transferred to the Hollywood Children's Village in Nedlands. In 1969, the building became a Salvation Army home for girls (residents and staff were transferred to Mount Lawley from the Salvation Army Girls' Home, Cottesloe). Because of this, the Mount Lawley home was sometimes called 'Cottesloe House'. Its official name was 'Withnell House Girls' Home'.
21 October 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE00247
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License