The Alexandra Home for Mothers and Babies (Inc) and Mothercraft Training School (also known as the Alexandra Home) was both a maternity home and a training facility for mothercraft nurses. It was located in Lincoln Street, Highgate, in the premises that had originally been acquired for the House of Mercy in 1901, and which had continued from 1916 as the Alexandra Home for Women.
Babies were born at the King Edward Memorial Hospital, and mothers and babies came to the Home afterwards. It was not uncommon for babies born to the mothers in the Home to be adopted either privately or through the government department in charge of child welfare.
In 1956, The Alexandra Home for Mothers and Babies (Inc) and Mothercraft Training School changed its name to Ngal-a Mothercraft Home and Training Centre Inc (Ngala). As Ngala, it continued in the Lincoln Street premises until 1959.
07 September 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE01415
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License