The Anglican Diocese of Sydney was founded in 1788, when the Church of England arrived with the First Fleet. The Sydney Diocese ran a number of children's homes, through various committees including Church of England Children's Homes and the Home Mission Society, and supported independent committees to run others. Since 1983 the Church of England in Australia has been known as the Anglican Church. Since 1997 its welfare arm has been Anglicare.
The Diocese of Sydney is headed by the Bishop of Sydney. It covers the Sydney basin west to Lithgow, south to Ulladulla and east to Norfolk Island.
Sources used to compile this entry: Annual report of the Home Mission Society of the Diocese of Sydney, Home Mission Society (NSW), 1912-1971; Anderson, Donald George, 'The bishop's society, 1856 to 1958: a history of the Sydney Anglican Home Mission Society', Department of History and Politics, University of Wollongong, PhD thesis, 1990. Also available at http://ro.uow.edu.au/theses/1440/; Church of England Homes (ed.), The Pleader: The organ of the Church of England Homes, 1916-1972, 8 pp; 'The Pulpit: Home Missions', The Sydney Morning Herald, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18004930; Sydney Anglicans: Gateway to the Anglican Church in Sydney, Sydney Anglican Network, http://sydneyanglicans.net/; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 3 March 2011, Last modified: 18 May 2014