Havilah Little Children's Home was established in a house called Havilah in Hinemoa Road, Normanhurst in 1918 by the Church of England Diocese of Sydney.(This was also known as Havilah Wahroonga). It was a home for infant children aged under six years. Havilah Little Children's Home was established by the Homes and Hostels Committee for Children, which in 1930 merged with the Church of England Homes. In 1950, Havilah moved to 'Seven Oaks' at Carlingford next to the Church of England Boys' Home on Pennant Hills Road. The Seven Oaks property was renamed Havilah. This house became a group home in the 1970s. It closed around 1980 and the property was sold.
After Havilah in Carlingford was sold, the area was rezoned with new street developments. The frontage of the property was reoriented from Pennant Hills Road to a new street, and currently has the address 29 Bevan Place, Carlingford.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Where children receive their natural heritage', The Australian Women's Weekly, 2 September 1933, p. 5, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/48074745; 'Control of Church Homes: Bishop Hilliard's Comment', The Sydney Morning Herald, 2 September 1945, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17952158; 'Home that is away from home?', 2011, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/2011/02/02/home-that-is-away-from-home/; '29 Bevan Place Carlingford NSW 2118: "Havilah House" - Regal Estate 1588sqm', in Homehound, 2012, http://www.homehound.com.au/listing/index.php?id=6737706&s=fb; 29 Bevan Place Carlingford: "Havilah House" - Regal Estate 1588sqm [Image], Date: c. 2012; Annual Report, Church of England Homes, c1908-1984. 1918-1919, 1921-22, 1922-23, 1925-26, 1927-28, 1928-29, 1931-32, 1932-33, 1950-51, 1975-76.; Church of England Homes (ed.), The Pleader: The organ of the Church of England Homes, 1916-1972, 8 pp; Correspondence with staff of Anglicare Out of Home Care Services (Telopea), 28 November 2011; 16 April 2013; 4 April 2014; Constitution of the Church of England Homes (1916).
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 3 March 2011, Last modified: 14 August 2017