St. Elizabeth's Home for Girls was opened at Mayfield in 1926 as a home for orphan and destitute girls, under the management of the Sisters of the Community of the Holy Name. From 1937 it was run by the Church Army. St. Elizabeth's Home for Girls was relocated to Singleton in 1942, and closed in 1977.
St. Elizabeth's Mayfield was located in a property owned by the Church of England Diocese of Newcastle. The house was built in 1886 and was once the residence of William Arnott, who named it Arnott Holme. In 1898 it was sold to Isaac Winn, who named it Winn Court. In 1921 it was sold to the Newcastle Diocese.
The house was first opened as a hostel in 1923 but the Diocese of Newcastle converted it to a girls' home in 1926 and placed it under the management of the Sisters of the Community of the Holy Name. The Church Army, which was a new organisation supported by the Diocese of Newcastle, was invited to take over St. Elizabeth's in 1937.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'St Alban's Muswellbrook', The Muswellbrook Chronicle, 28 August 1942, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/107694611; Arnott Holme (1885) [Image], Date: 12 August 2007; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://insideblog.nma.gov.au/2011/02/11/connecting-kin/.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing and Naomi Parry
Created: 3 March 2011, Last modified: 20 July 2017