St Brigid's Girls' Home opened in 1898 at Ryde and was operated by the Sisters of Mercy Parramatta Congregation. It housed girls aged 5 to 15 years. St Brigid's Girls' Home closed in 1978.
St Brigid's Girls' Home was opened, under the patronage of Cardinal Moran, on 17 June 1898.
Records of the Home are held by the Convent of Mercy Archives in Parramatta. Copies of records from 1929-1935 are held by the Catholic Children's Homes Enquiry Service.
St Brigid's Girls' Home was mentioned in the Lost Innocents Report (2001) as an institution involved in the migration of children to Australia.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Where did the children go?', in Stolen childhoods, Part of a site exhibition that accompanied On Their Own, the National Maritime Museum of Australia and National Museums Liverpool touring exhibition about child migration from Britain., Immigration Museum, Museum Victoria, 2011-2012, http://museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum/discoverycentre/stolen-childhoods/where-did-the-children-go/; Hanson, Dallas, Why are they in children's homes: report of the ACOSS children's home intake survey, Australian Department of Social Services: Australian Council of Social Services, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra, 1979, 83 pp; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 8 March 2011, Last modified: 25 October 2017