Burwood Maternity Home, run by the Salvation Army, was opened in a house called Clythe at Lucas Road Burwood in October 1898, having moved from Newtown. It provided accommodation and care for homeless girls and unmarried mothers and was a maternity home. It moved to Marrickville in 1910.
According to Connecting Kin (1998), this Home may earlier have been at Newtown and its records are related to those of Newtown Maternity and Rescue Home.
1892 - 1898 Newtown Maternity and Rescue Home
1898 - 1910 Burwood Maternity Home
Sources used to compile this entry: 'The Salvation Army. Maternity Home at Burwood.', 5 October 1898, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14146734; The Salvation Army Australia Eastern Territory, 'Submission 46: EASTERN TERRITORY SOCIAL CENTRES: A list of openings, closings, and function', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, June 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing and Naomi Parry
Created: 9 March 2011, Last modified: 20 June 2014