Newcastle Maternity and Rescue Home was opened in Albert Street, Islington (in Newcastle) in July 1897 and was also known as 'The Lighthouse'. It provided accommodation for homeless girls and women, including unmarried mothers, and married mothers. In May 1924 it moved to Merewether, and became known as Maryville Mothers' Hospital.
Sources used to compile this entry: The Salvation Army Australia Eastern Territory, 'Submission 46: EASTERN TERRITORY SOCIAL CENTRES: A list of openings, closings, and function', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, June 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing and Naomi Parry
Created: 9 March 2011, Last modified: 16 August 2013