The Queen Victoria Hospital for Women and Babies in Annandale was founded by George Lewis in 1895 and run by Matron Attenborough from 1896 until 1924. It catered to both married and unmarried mothers. The home had six to eight beds, and in 1929 reported that 300 babies were born at the hospital each year. The Queen Victoria Hospital for Women and Babies closed in 1976.
The Queen Victoria Hospital for Women and Babies was located at 61 Albion Street Annandale, in Sydney's inner west. The building dates from 1845 but the hospital was founded by George Lewis in 1895. It catered to both married and unmarried mothers. Unmarried mothers were not charged for their stay in the home but attended to other patients.
Matron Attenborough was in charge of the home from 1896 until 1924. On Lewis' death in 1926 the building was left to the Presbyterian Church. In 1952 a Ladies Auxiliary, led by Mrs Hope Figtree, was formed. The hospital was later transferred to the Hospital Commission and was closed in 1976.
Medical records are held by Prince of Wales Hospital (1953 to 1978). Social work records are held by Community Services' Adoption Information Unit.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Queen Victoria Maternity Home for Women and Babies', in Local Notes, Leichhardt Council Local History team, Leichhardt Council Library, 13 September 2011, http://localnotes.net.au/?p=1754; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 21 April 2011, Last modified: 19 September 2014