St Gabriel's was established in Castle Hill in 1922 by the Christian Brothers. It was a residential home for boys who had a hearing impairment, aged from 5 to 17 years. St Gabriel's stopped serving as a residential school in 1973, and became a co-educational day school. In 2014 it was still a school, but offered a range of programmes to support children with hearing impairment, as well as disabilities in the autism spectrum.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'A Piece of the Story': National Directory of Records of Catholic Organisations Caring for Children Separated from Families, Australian Catholic Social Welfare Commission & Australian Conference of Leaders of Religious Institutes, 1999, https://cssa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/A-Piece-of-the-Story.pdf; 'History', in St Gabriel's School, St Gabriel's, 2014, https://stgabriels.nsw.edu.au/history-alumni.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 11 May 2011, Last modified: 18 May 2014