The Deaconess Children's Home and Domestic Training School was a children's home and training home for girls that was run by the Church of England Deaconess Institution. It operated on various sites in Ashfield (1892-1894), Annandale (1901) and Balmain (1901 and 1895-1914). In 1914 the remaining Balmain home closed and moved to Marrickville. It was renamed Lisgar Children's Home.
No registers of the Deaconess Children's Home and Domestic Training School survive but Annual Reports exist and there are some photographs.
The Church of England Deaconess Institution (now known as Anglican Deaconess Ministries Ltd) operated the home. Its records are currently held by Anglican Deaconess Ministries Ltd.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Anglican Deaconess Ministries History', Anglican Deaconess Ministries Ltd, 2009, http://web.archive.org/web/20140225231547/http://www.deaconessministries.org.au/history/history; 'Other Ministries Begun By Sydney Anglican Deaconesses', http://web.archive.org/web/20140309214733/http://www.deaconessministries.org.au/history/other-ministries; Quinn, Peter E, Unenlightened efficiency: the administration of the juvenile correction system in New South Wales 1905-1988, University of Sydney, History, 27 March 2006, http://hdl.handle.net/2123/623; Correspondence with Anglican Deaconess Ministries, 24 December 2012.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 29 November 2011, Last modified: 28 November 2014