Lisgar Children's Home was established by the Church of England Deaconess Institution at Harrison Street, Marrickville, from 1914 to 1929. Lisgar was a home for boys and girls. It moved to a property in Strathfield, called Agincourt, in the late 1920s, and became a girls' home, later named Pallister Girls Home.
In 1921, Lisgar Children's Home was granted 5 shillings per week for every orphan in its care by the NSW Government. This allowance was extended to a range of private institutions that cared for children.
Win Evans writes that when the decision was made to move the home to Strathfield, the boys in Lisgar were sent to Charlton or Milleewa. The new home was named after a Deaconess called Miss Pallister.
In 2011 the premises are an aged care home, and have been used for that purpose since the 1990s.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Orphans', The Sydney Morning Herald, 19 February 1921, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15959476; Evans, Win, A Rejected Childhood, W. Evans/Parker Pattinson, Hurstville, 2001, 255 pp; Correspondence with Anglican Deaconess Ministries Ltd, 24 December 2011.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 6 December 2011, Last modified: 15 May 2017