Lisgar Training Home for Domestic Servants was begun in Ashfield by Captain David and Mrs Maria Scott in 1870 and became part of the Church of England Deaconess Institution in 1893. It trained young women in domestic service, including state wards aged 14, and some Aboriginal girls. Lisgar Training Home closed in 1909.
Lisgar Training Home for Domestic Servants was located in Elizabeth Street Ashfield and may have been located in other premises in its early years.
Lisgar Training Home was intended to provide training in domestic service for women of low education. Some state wards were referred there when they reached the age of 14 and some Aboriginal girls were sent there for training.
It appears there are no surviving records of the home.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Anglican Deaconess Ministries History', Anglican Deaconess Ministries Ltd, 2009, http://web.archive.org/web/20140225231547/http://www.deaconessministries.org.au/history/history; Correspondence with Anglican Deaconess Ministries Ltd, 24 December 2011.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 24 January 2012, Last modified: 28 November 2014