'Quipolli', or 'Quipolly', was the name of a house in Leura that was used as a girl's home by Church of England Homes in the 1930s. It was for girls aged up to 15 years, some of whom had come from the Havilah Little Children's Home at Normanhurst. There were 28 girls resident in the home in October 1930, and they went to Leura Public School or the secondary school in Katoomba.
Quipolli was located in an elegant house on Railway Parade, with spacious grounds and a covered play area. Quipolli produced milk and vegetables for residents, and had an annual egg, jam and grocery afternoon.
In 1930, The Pleader, a journal for the Church of England Homes, described 'Quipolli' as being for girls aged up to 15 years, who were the elder girls of 'Havilah' at Normanhurst. There were 28 girls resident in the home in October 1930, and they went to Leura Public School or the secondary school in Katoomba. One girl was doing her Leaving Certificate.
The Matron was Miss Clinch and the Leura Ladies Committee was headed by Mrs Mackintosh. It was noted that the people of other Blue Mountains towns were not as interested in supporting Quipolli as Leura residents were, but the Katoomba Girl Guides held a concert to aid the home in October of 1930.
According to an Australian Women's Weekly article from September 1933, 'Quipolly' housed 28 girls aged from seven 'to the time when they are fitted to face the world alone.'
Domestic science, cookery, dressmaking, laundry, hospital training, and lace making are among the crafts taught the girls. Lace-making is a special feature, and overseas visitors have compared it with advantage to that done by the women of France and Belgium. Quite a number of girls have their own gardens, for which prizes are awarded.
These occupations were considered appropriate for young women, who were being fitted for a life of service, as maids, nurses or housewives.
In 2013, the building that was 'Quipolli' was still standing and is serving as an aged care home. It appears some of the grounds were subdivided and sold, as the property is now surrounded by buildings and stands next to a church.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Where children receive their natural heritage', The Australian Women's Weekly, 2 September 1933, p. 5, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/48074745; Annual Report, Church of England Homes, c1908-1984; Church of England Homes (ed.), The Pleader: The organ of the Church of England Homes, 1916-1972, 8 pp; Site visit by Naomi Parry, 12 April 2013; Correspondence from Anglicare Out-of-Home Care Services, 23 January 2013.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 18 June 2012, Last modified: 19 March 2015