Dr Barnardos Girls' Home, Burwood was opened by Dr Barnardo's in Australia in 1938 as a home for female child migrants from the United Kingdom. Girls who lived in the Burwood Home were trained in domestic science before being placed in the country. Around 14 girls lived in the Home at a time. It closed in 1957.
The Dr Barnardos Girls' Home, Burwood was officially opened on Monday 26 September 1938 by Lady Wakehurst. Girls who had previously been in Barnardo House, Ashfield were transferred to Dr Barnardos Girls' Home, Burwood when Ashfield closed.
About 14 girls lived in the Home at one time. One group were the 'trainees', these girls were being trained to be placed in domestic service positions in rural locations. These girls did most of the work around the Home, including preparing meals, vacuuming, washing, and serving meals. Girls who had excelled in school attended the Burwood Domestic Science School and lived in a dormitory on the upper level. An older group of girls had separate quarters at the back of the house - they had already been placed in positions, but returned for their holidays.
Younger girls lived in the cottage homes at Mowbray Park, and were transferred to Burwood once they reached a post-primary standard in the State school at Picton.
Dr Barnardos Girls' Home, Burwood was sold in 1957 and a smaller property in Lindfield was purchased with the funds to be a girls' home.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Barnardo Home for Girls - Transfer to Burwood - Ashfield Property Sold', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 22 August 1938, p. 12, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17489822; 'New Training Home at Burwood - Barnardo Metropolitan Centre', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 29 June 1939, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17609955; 'Homes Show First Profit', The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW), 30 May 1957, p. 3, https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=RtBYAAAAIBAJ&sjid=FeUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3881%2C212875; 'Where did the children go?', in Stolen childhoods, Part of a site exhibition that accompanied On Their Own, the National Maritime Museum of Australia and National Museums Liverpool touring exhibition about child migration from Britain., Immigration Museum, Museum Victoria, 2011-2012, http://museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum/discoverycentre/stolen-childhoods/where-did-the-children-go/; The Official Opening of Barnardo House Grantham St Burwood By Lady Margaret Wakehurst on the 29th September 1938 [Image]; The opening of the Girls Training Home Grantham St Burwood [Image], Date: 1938; Remmer, Clifford, Nardy Old Boys & Girls Reunion Club, The Remmers, 2005, http://www.nardyaustralia.com/.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry and Nicola Laurent
Created: 13 August 2013, Last modified: 25 October 2017