Cudgelo Junior Red Cross Home was opened as a Junior Red Cross Home in Ramsgate in 1923. It appears to have been a girls' Holiday and Convalescence home for children from the Far West of New South Wales, including the Bourke district. The Home closed in 1951 and the work was transferred to the Eleanor MacKinnon Memorial Home.
It was reported in The Sydney Morning Herald, 1934, that Cudgelo was originally been opened in 1923 in a rented property. Thanks to the funding of the young members they were able to purchase land and build a house. The Home was able to accommodate 100 children a year, in groups of 15.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Sick Children's Holiday', Barrier Miner, 7 December 1928, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/46043191; 'Tree-Planting at Cudgelo', The Sydney Morning Herald, 9 May 1931, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/16776268; 'Five Hundred Miles…for Health!', Australian Women's Weekly, 2 December 1933, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article48205017; 'Junior Fun - "Cudgelo" Seaside Home - The House that the Children Built…', The Sydney Morning Herald, 25 January 1934, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17042876; 'Don't forget', Australian Women's Weekly, 7 November 1936, http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/47478581; 'Kingswood Junior Red Cross', Nepean Times, 8 September 1949, p. 2, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article117914064; 'New J.R.C. Children's Home', Jerilderie Herald and Urana Advertiser (NSW), 3 May 1951, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article134737165; Email received from former resident, 22 December 2015.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 19 May 2014, Last modified: 25 October 2017