Eleanor MacKinnon Memorial Junior Red Cross Home was officially opened on 15 February 1938 as a boys' home in Ramsgate. It had, however, already taken in groups of boys over the summer. The Home closed in early 1951.
The Eleanor MacKinnion Memorial Junior Red Cross Home was opened to commemorate the late Mrs Eleanor MacKinnon, the Junior Red Cross founder and honorary director from 1914 until her death in 1936. The Home was opened by Lady Gowrie, wife of the then Governor-General, and friend of Mrs MacKinnon, on 15 February 1938.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Eleanor MacKinnon Memorial - Junior Red Cross Home - Official Opening', The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate (Parramatta), 10 Feb 1938, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article104977141; 'New J.R.C. Children's Home', Jerilderie Herald and Urana Advertiser (NSW), 3 May 1951, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article134737165.
Prepared by: Nicola Laurent
Created: 8 April 2016, Last modified: 12 April 2016