The Industrial School for Girls, Chelmer, was operated by the Salvation Army. It was opened in 1920 and was licensed under the State Children Act 1911. The Home was also registered as a babies nursing home from 1921, however from around 1924 only girls aged 14 to 18 were admitted to the Home, with younger girls sent to the Salvation Army Girls' Home at Yeronga. The industrial school had capacity for about 30 girls at a time. Girls at the home were trained in domestic work and sewing. When girls left the Home by the age of 18 they were placed in employment as domestic servants. From 1932 the Home also admitted adult women with chronic illness or disabilities. No State girls were placed at the Industrial School after 1941. The home officially closed in 1961, however it is not clear if it accommodated younger girls from 1941 to its closure.
Sources used to compile this entry: Salvation Army Appeal, The Brisbane Courier, 24 July 1920, 9 pp. Also available at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article20413752; Home for Girls: Salvation Army Effort, The Telegraph, 9 March 1926, 4 pp. Also available at http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article179654386; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.54..
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 14 June 2011, Last modified: 23 January 2023