St Ann's Industrial School (for girls) in Brisbane was established in 1868, by the Sisters of Mercy. It consisted of a number of rented premises which housed the school and provided accommodation. The Industrial School was bound by Wickham, Ann and Gotha Streets, Fortitude Valley. The location in 2014 was known as Centenary Place. In 1894, St Ann's Industrial School moved to a new building in Ann Street and became part of All Hallows School in 1964.
St Ann's did not operate as a reformatory and was not licensed under the Industrial and Reformatory Schools Act of 1865. The Industrial School taught young girls the art of dressmaking, embroidery and lace-making. The girls' work was sold and the income went towards running the institution, which was required to be self-sufficient. Several girls training to be teachers also resided at the school.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 6 August 2012, Last modified: 12 March 2020