The Industrial School for Girls, in Wooloowin, was operated by the Order of the Sisters of Mercy. It opened in 1904 and in around 1966 the name was changed to the Holy Cross Home. The girls worked in the laundry which was located on the same site. Very young children were not taken into home after 1959.
The Industrial School was established and licensed in 1904 under the lndustrial and Reformatory School Act 1865. Subsequently it was licensed under the State Children Act 1911 on 31 December 1911.
The Industrial School was a large dormitory-style facility. Like the other denominational institutions for juvenile offending girls, it had a laundry 'for the instruction of the girls', which was a major source of income.
1904 - c. 1966 Industrial School for Girls, Wooloowin
1965 - 1973 Holy Cross Home
Sources used to compile this entry: 'A Piece of the Story': National Directory of Records of Catholic Organisations Caring for Children Separated from Families, Australian Catholic Social Welfare Commission & Australian Conference of Leaders of Religious Institutes, 1999, http://www.cssa.org.au/storage/A%20Piece%20of%20the%20Story.pdf; Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions, Report of the Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions, Queensland. Department of Families, Youth and Community Care, Brisbane, 1999. p.142.; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 23 August 2013, Last modified: 17 March 2015