St Vincent de Paul Group Homes
Bon Agor House at Royston Park was one of three suburban group homes opened by the Catholic Church after the closure of the St Vincent De Paul Orphanage. Bon Agor opened in 1975 and provided residential care for a small group of children in a family setting under the supervision of a cottage mother. In 1988 Bon Agor House became a therapeutic cottage for children with behavioural difficulties. Bon Agor closed in 1989.
Bon Agor House was established by the Catholic Church in the suburb of Royston Park in January 1975. It was one of three group homes, known as the St Vincent de Paul Group Homes, which opened in the period 1975-1976. The Homes took over the role of providing residential care for children from the St Vincent de Paul Orphanage. The other group homes were Orana Cottage in Plympton and Yoorana Cottage in Westbourne Park.
Bon Agor House accommodated a small number of children in a family group setting under the supervision of a cottage mother. The House provided medium to long term care rather than short term emergency care. Bon Agor became a therapeutic cottage for children with behavioural difficulties in January 1988 and closed in November 1989.
1866 - 1975 St Vincent de Paul Orphanage
1975 - 1989s Bon Agor House
Sources used to compile this entry: Booth, Robyn, Report on the St Vincent de Paul Cottage Homes, Unpublished typescript, 1979; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/; Information provided by Professional Standards Records Service of the Catholic Church, May 2014.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 17 February 2011, Last modified: 3 June 2014