St Vincent de Paul Group Homes
Orana Cottage in Plympton was one of three suburban group homes opened by the Catholic Church after the closure of the St Vincent de Paul Orphanage. Orana opened in 1976 and provided residential care for a small group of children in a family setting under the supervision of cottage parents. Orana closed in 1980. Children in the Home were transferred to Hannah Buckley Cottage in Parkside. In 1982 the building at Plympton became Kolbe Cottage.
Orana Cottage was established by the Catholic Church in the suburb of Plympton in January 1976. It was one of three group homes, known as St Vincent de Paul Group Homes, which opened in the period 1975-1976. The Homes took over the role of providing residential care for children from the St Vincent de Paul Orphanage. The other group homes were Bon Agor House in Royston Park and Yoorana Cottage in Westbourne Park.
Orana Cottage accommodated a small number of children in a family group setting under the supervision of cottage parents. The cottage provided medium to long term care rather than short term emergency care. Orana closed in April 1980. Children in the Home were transferred to Hannah Buckley Cottage in Parkside. The building at Plympton later became Kolbe Cottage and provided respite care for children with intellectual disabilities.
1866 - 1975 St Vincent de Paul Orphanage
1975 - 1980 Orana Cottage Home
Sources used to compile this entry: Booth, Robyn, Report on the St Vincent de Paul Cottage Homes, Unpublished typescript, 1979; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/; Information provided by Professional Standards Records Service of the Catholic Church, May 2014.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 17 February 2011, Last modified: 11 June 2014