The Church of England Boys' Home at Walkerville was the new name given to the Children's Home at Walkerville in 1904 after the Home took in boys only. Numbers ranged from 14 up to 30. In 1926 the Home moved to a new building in the same street. The Home was run by an independent management committee that reported to the Diocese of Adelaide. In 1955 it was renamed Kennion House.
The Church of England Boys' Home at Walkerville was the new name given to the Children's Home at Walkerville in 1904 after the Home took in boys only. During its existence the number of boys in the Home ranged from 14 up to 30.
While living in the Home the boys attended St Andrew's Day School and services in St Andrew's church. Most boys remained until the age of 14 when they left to take up employment. The boys initially lived in crowded conditions in what was described as a dark, depressing and run down building.
The poor conditions led to the Home moving to a new building next to the St Andrews church in 1926. This new one storey building had two dormitories, each with 12 beds. Plans were also made to enclose one verandah to provide further sleeping accommodation when required. More renovations were completed after the Second World War.
In 1955 the Church of England Boys' Home was informally renamed Kennion House, after Bishop GW Kennion who had been Bishop of Adelaide at the time the home opened.
Sources used to compile this entry: George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 23 February 2011, Last modified: 18 June 2018