St Joseph's Sanatorium opened in Largs Bay in 1903. Run by the Sisters of St Joseph, it operated as a rest home for women and children. In 1906 it moved to a larger premises in the same suburb and cared for children from infancy to school age. In 1907, the Home changed its name to St Joseph's Orphanage, Largs Bay.
St Joseph's Sanatorium was established by the Sisters of St Joseph in Kalgoorlie Street, Largs Bay, in 1903. It operated as a rest home for women and children who required 'rest and sea air'. The first building had eight rooms and an ocean view. Due to the demand for accommodation the Archbishop of Adelaide arranged the purchase of a larger property at 208 The Esplanade, Largs Bay, opposite the end of the Jetty in 1906.
The Sanatorium continued to accommodate women in the new premises, but the Sisters began to concentrate on the care of boys and girls from infancy to school age. Children over the age of three years who had been staying with mothers accommodated at St Joseph's Refuge at Fullarton were also placed in the Home. As a result of this change in focus, the Home changed its name to St Joseph's Orphanage, Largs Bay, in 1907.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'St. Joseph's Sanatorium', The Advertiser (Adelaide, South Australia), 13 August 1903, p. 6, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4985401; George, Karen, Finding your own way, Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc., 2005, http://nunku.org.au/resources/.
Prepared by: Karen George and Gary George
Created: 13 August 2012, Last modified: 16 May 2018