The Mental Diseases Hospital, New Norfolk replaced the Hospital for the Insane in 1915. It remained on the same grounds. The Mental Diseases Hospital housed children. In 1937, it became Lachlan Park Hospital.
Between 1915 and 1920, the Mental Diseases Hospital Department ran the Mental Diseases Hospital. In 1920, the Public Health Department took it over.
One of the many aims of the Mental Deficiency Act of 1920 was that it would provide for the segregation of children with intellectual disabilities from the other patients at the Mental Diseases Hospital.
In 1931, the new Boys' Cottage was ready and the boys moved in from La Maison which was in Humphrey Street.
1827 - 1859 Lunatic Asylum, New Norfolk
1859 - 1915 Hospital for the Insane, New Norfolk
1915 - 1937 Mental Diseases Hospital, New Norfolk
1937 - 1968 Lachlan Park Hospital
1968 - 2000 Royal Derwent Hospital
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Care of mental deficients: the bill before parliament: scientific treatment and supervision', The Mercury (Hobart), 23 September 1920, p. 3, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-page896610; 'Willow Court Asylum Precinct, Humphrey St, New Norfolk, TAS, Australia', in Register of the National Estate (Non-statutory archive), Department of the Environment, Australian Government, http://www.environment.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl?mode=place_detail;place_id=102728.
Prepared by: Caroline Evans
Created: 10 April 2013, Last modified: 24 October 2017