Glastonbury Children's Home was the new name given in 1977 to the Glastonbury - Geelong Protestant Orphanage. It accommodated children in a family group home model. In 1984, it became the Glastonbury Child and Family Services.
Glastonbury Children's Home came into being in 1977. It was formerly known as Glastonbury - Geelong Protestant Orphanage.
The name change reflected the shift in language and policy in child welfare in Victoria, away from congregate care, towards the family group home model.
In 1977, Glastonbury purchased and took over the operation of two family group homes formerly run by St Cuthbert's Children's Home in Colac.
In 1984, the name changed again to Glastonbury Child and Family Services, signifying another shift in philosophy and practice.
c. 1854 - 1862 Geelong Orphan Asylum
1862 - 1909 Geelong Protestant Orphan Asylum
1909 - 1955 Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage
1955 - 1977 Glastonbury - Geelong Protestant Orphanage
1977 - 1984 Glastonbury Children's Home
1984 - 2011 Glastonbury Child and Family Services
2011 - 2015 Glastonbury Community Services
2015 - Barwon Child, Youth & Family
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 13 February 2009, Last modified: 4 August 2014