Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Victoria - Organisation

St Joseph's Babies' Home (1975 - 1985)

From
1975
To
1985
Categories
Adoption Agency, Babies' Home, Care Provider, Catholic, Foster Care and Home

St Joseph's Babies Home in Glenroy was established in 1975, when the Sisters of St Joseph closed their Foundling Hospital in Broadmeadows. The Glenroy Home established a foster care service, primarily to provide pre-adoptive placements. In 1985, it became part of the new St Joseph's Babies' and Family Service, established when the sisters closed the Receiving Home in Carlton.

Details

Location

1975 - 1985
Location - St Joseph's Babies' Home was located in Glenroy. Location: Glenroy

Timeline

 1901 - 1975 St Joseph's Foundling Hospital
       1975 - 1985 St Joseph's Babies' Home
             1985 - 1997 St Joseph's Babies' and Family Service
                   1997 - MacKillop Family Services

Run By

Related Archival Collections

Related Glossary Terms

Related Organisations

  • St Joseph's Receiving Home (1902 - 1985)

    In 1985 the St Joseph's Receiving Home in Carlton merged with the St Joseph's Babies Home in Glenroy to become the St Joseph's Babies' and Family Service, Glenroy.

Publications

Online Resources

Sources used to compile this entry: 'A Piece of the Story': National Directory of Records of Catholic organisations caring for children separated from their families, Australian Catholic Social Welfare Commission & Australian Conference of Leaders of Religious Institutes, November 1999, http://www.cssa.org.au/storage/A%20Piece%20of%20the%20Story.pdf.

Prepared by: Cate O'Neill