Kildonan Residential Units came into being in around 1958, when Kildonan set up its first family group home next-door to the Kildonan children's Home in Burwood. The Burwood Home was sold in 1960, and seven more family group homes were purchased in the eastern suburbs. In 1989, Richmond Community Care Inc. Took over the management three of Kildonan's residential units.
Kildonan Residential Units came into being around 1958, when a property adjoining the Children's Home in Burwood was purchased to be used as Kildonan's first family group home, on an experimental basis.
Subsequently, several homes in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne were purchased as Kildonan moved away from 'institutional' care towards the family group home model.
At various times, Kildonan family group homes were located at Blackburn, Box Hill, Burwood, East Malvern, Syndal, North Balwyn, Canterbury, Hawthorn, Richmond, and Wattle Park.
In 1989, Richmond Community Care Inc. Took over the management of the three residential units formerly managed by Kildonan.
In 2007. Kildonan Uniting Care became the custodian of records of the programs run by Kildonan Homes for Children.
Sources used to compile this entry: Robinson, Marjorie, Kildonan: one hundred years of caring 1881-1981, The Council of the Uniting Church Kildonan Homes for Children, Camberwell, 1981.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 17 February 2009, Last modified: 24 October 2018