The Antonian Institute for Children, Richmond, was established in 1959 to cater for children from families of Italian origin, including state wards. The Home's name was changed to the Antonian Children's Home in 1966.
The Antonian Institute for Children was established at 311 Church Street, Richmond in 1959.
In January 1960, the Antonian Institute for Children was declared an approved children's home under the Children's Welfare Act 1958. The Home's name was changed in 1966, to the Antonian Children's Home. It closed in 1979.
It is now known as the Madre Nazarena Students' House.
In 2017, the Department of Health and Human Services took custody of records relating to Antonian Children's Home and the Antonian Institute for Children.
1959 - 1966 Antonian Institute for Children
1966 - 1979 Antonian Children's Home
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 1 May 2009, Last modified: 25 October 2018