Ramoth was established in Ferntree Gully in 1926. It was a convalescent Home for young women suffering from venereal diseases. In 1927, the Mission of St James and St John took over Ramoth and it became the Ramoth Toddlers' Home. Women at Ramoth were transferred to Fairhaven in Fairfield.
Ramoth was run in close association with The Horseshoe in Carlton, where women were first taken.
Ramoth was set up by the Mission as a sanitarium for women in the final stages of recovery from 'V.D.'. At Ramoth, the 'girls' could 'not only be prevented from contaminating secretly, but nursed back to lives of decency and respect'.
In 1927, the Mission took over Ramoth to be used as a Toddlers' Home. Women at Ramoth were transferred to Fairhaven in Fairfield.
In 1997 the Mission of St James and St John became part of Anglicare Victoria. At this time, records of the Mission were transferred to Anglicare Victoria. These included records of the various orphanages, homes and other residences run by the Mission. The custodian of these records is Anglicare Victoria.
1926 - 1927 Ramoth
1927 - 1953 Fairhaven
Sources used to compile this entry: Cole, Dr Keith, Commissioned To Care: The Golden Jubilee History of The Mission of St. James and St. John 1919-1969, first edn, The Ruskin Press Pty Ltd, North Melbourne, Australia, 1969; Monk, Joanne; O'Donoghue, Gina, Billylids and 'Home Kids': The Story of The Mission of St James and St John 1919-1994, The Mission of St. James and St. John, Surrey Hills, Victoria, 1994.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 26 May 2009, Last modified: 29 October 2018