Marillac House in Brighton East was run by the Daughters of Charity from 1943. It included a school, and accommodated mostly girls aged 10 to 16, and some boys in its early years, with intellectual disabilities, or learning and social problems. In 2009, Marillac House continues to provide programs and services to people with a disability.
Marillac House was situated in a mansion known as Landcox House, at 3 Mavis Avenue, Brighton East. The property was auctioned in 1987, and became a Tibetan Buddhist teaching and meditation centre.
Marillac House holds records about all the children who were in residence from 1943 to its closure in 1987.
Records vary considerably in detail, from very rudimentary to more extensive.
Marillac House also holds a large number of (often unidentified) photographs showing children in residence.
These records can be accessed at any time, by arrangement with Marillac House. Access is limited only on privacy grounds. There is no charge for access to records.
Visits to the original Marillac House building can also be arranged on request.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'A Piece of the Story': National Directory of Records of Catholic organisations caring for children separated from their families, Australian Catholic Social Welfare Commission & Australian Conference of Leaders of Religious Institutes, November 1999, http://www.cssa.org.au/storage/A%20Piece%20of%20the%20Story.pdf; James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 12 June 2009, Last modified: 30 October 2018