The Our Lady of Sion Orphanage was established in 1913. It was run by the Sisters of Sion and situated in the town of Sale on the grounds of a college for girls. It generally accommodated girls aged from 4 to 15 years. It ceased to operate in 1947.
The Orphanage was run by the Sisters of Sion. According to 'A piece of the story' (1999), many children admitted to the Orphanage were placed there 'by their families for varying periods of time because of difficulties at home'.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'A Piece of the Story': National Directory of Records of Catholic organisations caring for children separated from their families, Australian Catholic Social Welfare Commission & Australian Conference of Leaders of Religious Institutes, November 1999, https://cssa.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/A-Piece-of-the-Story.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 26 November 2009, Last modified: 5 November 2018