Benmore Presbyterian Children's Home (often known as Benmore Farm Training School) was established by the Council Presbyterian Children's Homes in 1947 in Caversham. Originally, it was an agricultural school for older boys but by 1956 girls and boys as young as 5 years old were placed at Benmore. Children who were wards of the state and private children were admitted. Benmore had closed by 1963.
Benmore Presbyterian Children's Home was established by the Council Presbyterian Children's Homes as a farm school for older boys. The official opening and dedication ceremony was held on 17 May 1947.
In 1954, Benmore was described as being able to accommodate 35 boys aged from 10 years. Renovations were proposed in 1954, with the addition of a dining and recreation hall to be known as the 'Withnell Memorial Hall', and new kitchen, laundry and ablution block.
By 1956, Benmore admitted children from under 6 years, both boys and girls. Children who were wards of the state were placed at Benmore, and most children were 'private admissions'. Younger children went to Middle Swan Primary School and others attended Midland Junction High School.
Benmore closed in the 1962-1963 financial year, possibly at the end of the 1962 school year.
Sources used to compile this entry: Information Services, Department for Community Development, 'Table 3: Young People at Benmore Presbyterian Children's Home 1947 to 1962', Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, http://signposts.cpfs.wa.gov.au/pdf/pdf.aspx.
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 7 October 2014