McDonald House was established in 1952 by the Department of Native Welfare as a hostel for Aboriginal boys attending high school in Perth. It later became an 'annexe' of Hillston (1955-1983) and Riverbank (1984-1985). It was originally located in West Perth before moving to Mount Lawley in 1963. The Anglican Church ran McDonald House from 1958 until around 1972.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Native Boys Meet Premier', The West Australian, 9 October 1954, p. 5, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article49884969; Information Services, Department for Community Development, 'McDonald House', Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, http://signposts.cpfs.wa.gov.au/pdf/pdf.aspx; State Solicitor's Office of Western Australia, 'p.84', Guide to Institutions Attended by Aboriginal People in Western Australia, Government of Western Australia, 2005, http://web.archive.org/web/20140126131607/http://www.dpc.wa.gov.au/lantu/MediaPublications/Documents/Guide-to-Institutions-attended-by-Aboriginal-people-in-WA-2005.pdf; Telephone Directory Western Australia Perth, (1970, p.42; 1972-73, p.47).
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 27 September 2018