St Joseph's Hostel, in Derby, was a hostel for school-age Aboriginal children run by the Pallottines (Society of the Catholic Apostolates) from 1959 to 1986, when it closed. Admissions included children who were sent by the child and 'native' welfare authorities, and children who were placed by family.
On 17 January 1958, the Pallottines were granted 25 acres of land at Lot No. 529, Derby for a hostel and by 1959 they had opened St Joseph's Hostel there. Admissions included children who were sent by the child and 'native' welfare authorities, and children who were placed by family. The hostel was run by the Pallottines with the assistance of lay missionaries.
It seems that St Joseph's Hostel was one of the 'Aboriginal education and employment' hostels subsidised by the Native Welfare Department In 1972, responsibility for St Joseph's Hostel was transferred to the Department for Community Welfare (DCW) in accordance with government policy at that time.
St Joseph's Hostel, Derby, closed in 1986.
Sources used to compile this entry: Information Services, Department for Community Development, 'Table 42: Young People at St Joseph's Hostel, Derby. Certain Years between 1959 and 1983', Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, http://signposts.cpfs.wa.gov.au/pdf/pdf.aspx; 'Western Australia Protectors Reports 1899-1959', in To Remove and Protect: Aboriginal Lives Under Control [website], Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies, National Library of Australia, http://aiatsis.gov.au/collections/collections-online/digitised-collections/remove-and-protect/western-australia. Annual Report of the Commissioner of Native Welfare 1959 p.21..
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 15 March 2011, Last modified: 7 October 2014