Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Western Australia - Organisation

Wirrumanu (1939 - 1975)

From
1939
To
1975
Categories
Catholic, Children's Home, Home and Mission
Alternative Names
  • Balgo Hills Mission (also known as)
  • Pallottine Mission, Balgo (also known as)
  • Rockhole (also known as)

Wirrumanu, which was also known as Balgo Mission, was a Catholic mission south of Halls Creek that was run by the Pallottines (Society of the Catholic Apostolates) from 1939, with assistance from the Sisters of St John of God from 1956. Boys and girls aged 4 to 18 years were accommodated in dormitories and went to school at the mission. Wirrumanu closed in 1975.

Details

Events

1939 - 1975
Location - Wirrumanu was located at Balgo, East of Lake Gregory. Location: Balgo

Publications

Online Resources

Photos

A big photo album: the archive of the Sisters of St John of God
Title
A big photo album: the archive of the Sisters of St John of God
Type
Video
Date
24 December 2010
Source
Ben Collins, ABC Kimberley

Details

Sources used to compile this entry: Information Services, Department for Community Development, Signposts: A Guide for Children and Young People in Care in WA from 1920, Government of Western Australia, 2004, http://signposts.cpfs.wa.gov.au/pdf/pdf.aspx.

Prepared by: Anna Trengove, Leanne Howard and Debra Rosser