Bishop Hale's Institution for Native and Half-Caste Children operated from1871 to 1888 in Perth. In October 1888 this institution closed and the children were sent to be the first residents of the Swan Native and Half-Caste Mission.
Bishop Hale was the Anglican Bishop of Perth who, before coming to Perth, had established a 'Native Institution' in Poonindie, South Australia. Newspaper reports talk about Bishop Hale's desire to provide education for Aboriginal children. Around 1870, Bishop Hale became aware that the Annesfield 'native residential school' at Albany was struggling and he stated his intention to resign from his role as Bishop and go down to Albany to manage Annesfield. It was reported that a deputation of senior Anglicans protested, and Bishop Hale remained in his position but closed Annesfield and brought the remaining students to Perth in early 1871. This new institution was known as 'Bishop Hale's Institution for Native and Half-Caste Children.'
Sources used to compile this entry: Peterkin, A. Roy, The Noisy Mansions : the story of Swanleigh 1868-1971, Perth Diocesan Trustees, Anglican Church of Australia, Midland, Western Australia, 1986. p.32..
Prepared by: Debra Rosser
Created: 21 January 2013, Last modified: 12 November 2018