The Girls' Friendly Society Lodge was opened on the 5th June 1915 on Adelaide Terrace, Perth. It was opened to provide accommodation for girls from England or country areas of Western Australia. Typically the girls who went to the Lodge in the earlier years were members of Girls' Friendly Society with commendations from their branch or diocese. From the 1950s and possibly earlier, the lodge provided emergency accommodation for female Wards of the State if an alternative suitable placement could not be found. It ceased operating around 1990.
Government records indicate that the Girls' Friendly Society hostel was used for child welfare (possibly private board) placements in the 1970s.
Sources used to compile this entry: Seymour, Jean, A century of challenge : a history of the Girls' Friendly Society in Western Australia from 1888-1988, The Society, Perth, W.A., 1988, 176 pp; State Records Office of Western Australia, Wards - Director's Approval to Transfer from one Institution to Another and Amend Training, Reference Code AU WA S1099- cons2607 A0191 V4 (p.63, 184, 260) - page numbers refer to PDF page number in digital file held by the Department of Communities (Child Protection and Family Support) in 2017.
Prepared by: Nicola Laurent
Created: 7 November 2014, Last modified: 12 November 2018