Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
New South Wales - Organisation
House of the Good Shepherd (1848 - 1901)
- Catholic, Home, Female Rescue Home
- Alternative Names
- Pitt Street House of the Good Shepherd
- House of the Good Shepherd, Pitt Street
The House of the Good Shepherd on Pitt Street provided accommodation for females over the age of fourteen years. It opened in 1848, in the building of Carters' Barracks, and was initially staffed by the Irish Sisters of Charity. In 1857 a new order was established to run the institution called the Sisters of the Good Shepherd. Their name was changed in 1866 to the Sisters of the Good Samaritan and they ran the Home until its closure. In 1901 the site was reclaimed by the Government for Central Railway Station and residents were transferred to St Magdalen's Retreat at Tempe.
The House of the Good Shepherd received women and girls from the courts, and via voluntary placement. All of the residents agreed to stay for a minimum period of two years.
From 1887, after the establishment of St Magdalen's Retreat in Tempe (described as a 'branch refuge' by Judith Godden), many residents from House of the Good Shepherd in Pitt Street were housed at St Magdalen's.
In 1901, when the House of the Good Shepherd was closed, its residents were transferred to St Magdalen's Retreat.
- 1848 - 1901
- Location - House of the Good Shepherd was situated on Pitt Street, Sydney.
- Collection Title
- Records held by the Good Samaritan Archives relating to Children's Homes (1879 - )
- Date Range
- 1879 -
Please contact the Archivist, Good Samaritan Archives:
Postal Address: PO Box 1076, Glebe Point, NSW 2037
Phone: (02) 8586 6906
House of the Good Shepherd