By 1955 the Burnside site included its own school with a gymnasium and swimming pool, a hall, a hospital, playing fields, and a farm, dairy and vegetable garden. There was also staff accommodation. Although closely linked to the Presbyterian Church, Burnside was independent of the Church hierarchy. The Burnside Homes were established and maintained entirely by private donations.
The way children were cared for by Burnside changed considerably over the years reflecting changes in child care theories. In the 1960s the capacity of the homes, originally designed for 30 children, was reduced to house 12-15 children. At that time Burnside began to establish group homes in the suburbs, designed to care for around six children at a time. In the 1970s Burnside commenced a comprehensive and successful system of foster care that was still running - and expanded - in 2013.
In 1972, Burnside also became responsible for St Andrew's Boys' Home at Leppington.
In 1977, the Uniting Church in Australia was formed, made up of the Congregational, Methodist and Presbyterian Churches of Australia. It was decided that the Burnside Homes should pass to the Uniting Church Board of Social Responsibility. This occurred in 1978 and the organisation became known as Burnside Homes for Children.
28 May 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00252
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License