The buildings used for Haddon Hall consisted of two old weatherboard cottages and a substantial inter-war bungalow building called Yama that had been built by Japanese businessman and vice-consul Toransuki Kitamura. Kitsamura died in 1930 and, after some time, his Australian wife Mabel sold the property to the Sydney City Mission.
Haddon Hall was opened by the Governor of New South Wales, Sir John Northcott, in November 1950 to house undernourished boys. The boys had previously been cared for at the Sydney City Mission's home Stonehaven at Springwood (also in the Blue Mountains). In 1951, the boys were relocated to Mt Gibraltar at Bowral, and the girls from that home moved into Haddon Hall. In 1967, the home closed and the remaining girls were transferred to Cowley House at Cronulla.
In 1970 the property was acquired by the Handicapped Children's Centre of New South Wales, who renamed it as Rainbow Lodge.
04 June 2020
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00356
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License