In 1938, children between the ages of nine months to two years were admitted to St Vincent's. Prior to that, children were admitted from two years and older. Today the site of the former St Vincent's Home is still owned by the Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy and accommodates the head office of Mercy Family Services, which continues to run programs for children, young people and families. This includes foster care and residental care programs.
St Vincent's Home for Children was licensed under the Orphanages Act of 1879. It was further licensed under the State Children Act 1911. In 1966 the home was licensed once again under the Children's Services Act 1965.
A cluster of Family Group Homes opened at St Vincent's campus in the 1970s:
McAuley, Whitty, Conlan, O'Quinn and Duhig Homes and Curtis Hostel. Bayview Cottage continued to operate as a group home in a former dormitory building.
Off-site group homes were established and St Vincent's was gradually phased out as a residential facility in 1971.
15 June 2017
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00155
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License