Industrial and reformatory schools were established for the purpose of segregating neglected and convicted juveniles from adult prisoners.
Boys under the age of 18 years were sentenced to a term of confinement at the reformatory by Children's Courts. It appears that some boys were transferred to orphanages before the expiration of their sentences. Parents of neglected and convicted inmates were required to contribute financially to the maintenance of their sons whilst in the reformatory.
When the decision was made to move the reformatory to Toowoomba, the boys were accommodated at the Diamantina Reformatory School for Boys while the buildings from the Lytton site were dismantled, transported to Toowoomba and re-erected.
The Reformatory was under the supervision of a Superintendent and a Visiting Justice. Both the Visiting Justice and the Superintendent reported directly to the Home Secretary.
An article in the Brisbane Courier on 28 November 1899 reported that Francis Ann Richmond was appointed Matron of the Diamantina Reformatory School for Boys on 25 November 1899.
The Honorary B B Moreton was appointed as visiting justice to the Diamantina Reformatory School for Boys and Mr C J H Wray as visiting surgeon. Mr McGladrigan was engaged as chief warder and assistant teacher, and J Greig was to fill the role as senior warder.
We do not currently have any photographs linked to this entry. If you know of any additional photographs, please contact us.
The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
13 December 2018
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00532
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License