The main purpose of the New Town Infirmary was to house people who were aged and infirm. However, as the former Queen's Orphan Asylum, it was a large site which meant that the government found additional uses for it. Adults and children detained under the Mental Deficiency Act 1920 lived in a Mental Defectives Home at the Infirmary. Until 1922, when it moved to Deloraine, the Boys' Training School was there. State wards requiring temporary accommodation or that the Children of the State Department did not know how to place also lived at the Infirmary. Apart from the boys at the Training School, children at the Infirmary lived with adults. In 1934, the New Town Infirmary became the New Town Rest Home.
We do not currently have any records linked to this organisation, but records may exist. The Find & Connect Support Service can help people who lived in orphanages and children's institutions look for their records.
You can also find out more by visiting Other important records.
12 May 2017
Cite this: https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/tas/TE00263
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License