The Padbury Boys' Farm School at Stoneville was part of the Swan Homes complex, established in 1946 to provide agricultural training to boys from Swan Homes. It was named in honour of two benefactors of Swan Homes: Mr Walter Padbury and his nephew, Matthew Padbury. Boys old enough to be 'trainees' were at first accepted to Padbury, but after 1948 'schoolboys' were also sent there. Boys cleared the land, erected buildings, worked on the farm, and helped put out bush-fires in the community.
School-age boys attended the Mt Helena Area School.
In 1955, the Padbury Boys' Farm School was closed, for financial reasons.
The Padbury Boys' Farm School was mentioned in the Lost Innocents Report (2001) as an institution involved in the migration of children to Australia.
21 October 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE00170
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License