Mofflyn (which was also known as 'Mofflyn House') was the new name given to the Methodist Homes for Children 1959, but it was not until 1961 that the Child Welfare Department (CWD) used 'Mofflyn' in its annual reports.
Mofflyn was on a 12 acre property in Sussex Street, East Victoria Park (government records from the 1970s have the address as 2 Jarrah Road, and 145 Sussex Street, East Victoria Park). It comprised four cottages (Wesley, Guild, Dowerin and Meckering) as well as the larger building, Mofflyn House, which held the Schoolar Memorial Kindergarten and staff offices.
The name 'Mofflyn' was created to honour two early donors: the Mofflins (whose name also appears on the Mofflin Gate at the Claremont Showgrounds) and the Lynns.
Mofflyn was run by the Methodist Homes for Children until 1977, when the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational churches merged to become the Uniting Church. It was then run by the Uniting Church Child and Family Care Services, as part of the 'Mofflyn Group' of Homes.
In 1984, the Mofflyn campus was closed. The Uniting Church continued to be involved in out of home care and the Mofflyn name lived on through Mofflyn Child and Family Services.
21 October 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE00688
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License