Wanslea Hostel was established in North Perth (Mt Lawley) in 1943 by the Women's Australian National Service (WANS) for 'the children of sick mothers who were wives of servicemen'.
The hostel was at 30 Bulwer Street, in a building which had previously been the Lister Private Hospital and Nurse Harvey's Maternity Hospital. Renovations were undertaken, including repainting in pastel shades, and the construction of children's hot and cold showers, playground and child-size beds.
When the hostel was officially opened on 8 November 1943, 30 children were living there and by December 1943, there were 87 children in residence, 53 being children of servicemen.
It closed in 1946 and was replaced by a larger children's Home, Wanslea (Cottesloe), in January 1947.
02 May 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE01148
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License