The Salvation Army Home for Neglected Girls began on 27 December 1894 at Claisebrook Road, after Cheriton Street, East Perth. It was also known as the Salvation Army Rescue Home.
The Home was established by J and H Fuller, female Salvation Army officers, who came to Western Australia from Melbourne and Adelaide for this purpose. In a memoir recalling the Home, J Fuller reported that the first house, in Claisebrook Road, was a 'nice cottage but the conveniences and water supply were a fair distance from the home' with a deep well from which water could be drawn with difficulty, and had to be strained before it was fit to use. At first, 'girls and women were not eager to come to the Home' and the first resident was admitted on 27 December 1894. An official opening was held on 18 February 1895 and the Home 'was soon full', according to Fuller, who described the Home as 'a Rescue Home, Maternity and preventive Home'.
At the end of 1895, Fuller reported that the Home moved 'almost opposite', to Summers Street, after West Parade, East Perth.
In 1898, the Home moved to Lincoln Street, Highgate (North Perth) and became Cornelie House (or Cornelie Home). The original house in Claisebrook Road was demolished in 2007.
17 October 2023
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/wa/WE01154
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License