Good Samaritan Training Centre was the name given to the St Magdalen's Retreat at Tempe, near Arncliffe, in 1948. It was run by the Good Samaritan Sisters and cared mainly for girls committed by the courts. Eventually self-contained home units were established, with a staff member in charge of eight girls. It closed in 1982. The only surviving buildings on the site are Tempe House and St Magdalene's Chapel.
1887 - 1947 St Magdalen's Retreat
1948 - 1982 Good Samaritan Training Centre
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Tempe House & St Magdalen's Chapel', in State Heritage Register, NSW Office of Environment and Heritage, 1999-, http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=5045451; Hanson, Dallas, Why are they in children's homes: report of the ACOSS children's home intake survey, Australian Department of Social Services: Australian Council of Social Services, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra, 1979, 83 pp; Quinn, Peter E, Unenlightened efficiency: the administration of the juvenile correction system in New South Wales 1905-1988, University of Sydney, History, 27 March 2006, http://hdl.handle.net/2123/623; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 7 March 2011, Last modified: 5 December 2013